So of course it's been a long time since I've updated this blog. This will probably be pretty long as I try to update the last few months of our lives! I'm hoping to be able to remedy my "slacking" now that Claire is getting to a place where she can somewhat entertain herself for short periods of time. I can't believe I'm already saying that she's able to do that. I'm hoping that I can keep this updated enough so that family and friends (both far away and local) can keep up to date on Miss C when they don't get a chance to see her.
First off, the amount of support, kind words, and help with the transition into parenthood has been amazing. I always knew Clay and I had amazing friends and family, but you really don't have any idea until you have this type of life altering event.
As for Claire, she's doing great! After 23 hours of unmedicated back labor (Whoo! I did it!) she arrived on May 16th at 2:08am. She was a whopping 8 lbs 11 ounces and 20 inches long! I couldn't have been more thrilled with my birth team - Clay was a great support and Liz, Lindsey, Angela, and the labor nurses were excellent. If you're giving birth (whether natural or not) GET A DOULA. The support she provided allowed Clay to actually focus on me - which was a great help. I also could shout my praises of Liz McDaniel from the rooftops. Unlike many stories I hear about doctors coming into to "catch" the baby, Liz was at my side the ENTIRE time. She acted not only as midwife, but also as an additional labor coach. If we ever decide to have another baby, I will go where ever Liz is at the moment to have it. Seriously. She's that good.
At 7 weeks Claire is already around 11 and a half pounds and continuing to grow. We're getting lots of smiles and cues, as well as some serious attempts at trying to roll onto her side. (Which did end in her actually rolling onto her belly last night.) She seemed completely shocked at how she ended up there. The feeling was mutual to say the least.
We're also trying to settle in with the day-to-day of parenthood. I joined a New Moms group at BABS (Bloomington Area Birth Services) and couldn't be happier in doing so. BABS has been such a great resource and support for us during this transition and I'll be forever grateful. We're becoming more and more "hippie light" as things progress. Or as one blog called it, "old fashioned." I've finally adjusted to nursing and am happy to sing it's praises. (It's not easy - so I'm thrilled I've been able to do it and offer my support to anyone willing to try.) We're about to enter the land of cloth diapering - I'll post as we get into things.
Well, my typing time is over since Claire has decided she's no longer entertained by her playmat! Stay Tuned!





Love that baby! XO, -Mandy
ReplyDelete